Thursday, May 20, 2010

Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


Bookclub was at my house last night. Too fun. The best was I just loved this book. It is so fun and witty and charming and cute! A new favorite of mine. You really must give it a try.

I can't do two things at once, like host a party and take pictures...so I don't have much to post. But, I did manage to take a couple pictures afterwards of the "awards" I gave out.



I searched the web for ideas, knowing this was such a well read book club type of book, so I was surprised that I couldn't find much in the way of "ideas." I thought about making a potato peel pie, but I couldn't justify spending hours on something I knew wasn't going to be "edible." Who wants to eat a pie made with potato peels and some beet juice to flavor it????? NOT ME. So, I came up with my own idea.

Instead of doing our usual pass out questions and discuss each one, I made up a game. We played a kind of pictionary with objects from the book. I went through the book and pulled out objects like a suitcase, tonic and potions, barrel of water, etc. and wrote each one on a piece of paper. Each team took turns pulling a paper and drawing the object for their team to guess. Once the team guessed the picture correctly they then had to tell how or why or who that picture related to in the book. This would spark discussion relating to that subject and we were able to cover what we would have discussed anyway, just in a different format. It was lots of fun, I thought.

So, at the end, I awarded the winners honorary members of the Potato Peel Pie Literary Society with a potato peeler. And, we did not eat potato peel pie.

4 comments:

  1. What a fun book club night! Of course you would come up with such a fun, creative game. I do want to read that book. Now, even more so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you didn't go to the trouble of making that scary sounding pie! Looks like you came up with the prefect ideas. I just might have to read that one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I am REALLY sad that I missed it!
    You are the most creative person !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, can I join your book club?!

    =)

    PS. LOVED that book, by the way.

    ReplyDelete